The Exploration Package
Below is a sample itineray and description of the tours included in the 7 Day/6 Night Exploration Package. This package will include transportation to and from the parks and ancient cities, all meals and guides.
Day 1 - Wilpattu National Park
- Leaving from Negombo at 8:00am, guests travel to the Aggressor Safari Lodge® near the Wilpattu and Minneriya National Parks. The travel time is several hours.
- After check-in and lunch, guests will be taken on an afternoon safari into Wilpattu National Park around 2:30pm to experience big game viewing of the parks Leopards, Elephant, Bear, Buffalo, Deer, Crocodile, Jackal and many other animals and birds in their natural jungle habitat and then back to the Safari Lodge for dinner at night fall.
Day 2 - Sigiriya Rock Palace & Minneriya National Park
- After breakfast, guests will leave the lodge at 7:00am and travel to the 5th Century AD Sigiriya Rock Palace. The palace and fortress complex takes several hours to climb from the bottom to the top.
- After lunch at a local restaurant, guests will go on an afternoon safari around 2:30pm into Minneriya National Park. It is home to the largest Asian elephant gathering known to exist on the planet. Guests sit and watch as these huge animals drink, play and snack on the green, lush grasses that have been exposed by the receding water. Dinner follows at the Safari Lodge.
Day 3 - Anuradhapura & Wilpattu
- After breakfast, guests will leave the lodge at 7:30am to travel to the 3rd Century BC ancient city in Anuradhapura. It served as the capital city of the country for nearly 1400 years until the beginning of the 11th century AD. During this period, it remained one of the most stable and durable centers of political power and urban life in South Asia. The city also houses the Jetavana, the Abhayagiri Dagaba and Ruwanwelisaya stupa’s that house many ancient Buddhist relics and remains of Buddhist monks and nuns. The Jetavana stupa, is the largest stupa in the Buddhist world in both its dimensions and its mass. It is 231 feet high up to its broken pinnacle and it has been calculated that it is made up of 160 million bricks.
- Guests will enjoy lunch at Wilpattu National Park around 1:30pm in an area frequented by troupes of monkeys. The adventure continues with a second safari through Wilpattu National Park to experience big game viewing of the parks; Leopards, Elephant, Bear, Buffalo, Deer, Crocodile, Jackal and many other animals and birds in their natural jungle habitat and then back to the Safari Lodge.
Day 4 - "Monkey Kingdom" Primate Center
- After an early breakfast, guests will leave the lodge at 5:30am to travel to the Sri Lanka’s Primate Center for a full days jungle excursion. Established over 50 years ago, the Primate Center is where Disney Studios filmed the movie "Monkey Kingdom". It is home to 3 types of Sri Lankan monkeys, the Toque Macaque, the Gray Langur and the Purple Faced Langur. While visiting the monkeys in their natural jungle communities, you can observe their interaction with family, friends and even their enemies. You will witness displays caring, courtship, passion, cooperation and teamwork as well as greed, jealousy and aggression as they go about their daily business.
- Guests will return to the Safari Lodge mid afternoon.
Day 5 - Ritigala Mountain & Monastery
- After breakfast guests will leave the lodge At 8:00am to travel to the Ritigala mountain range and ancient Buddhist Monastery built in the 1st Century BC. The Ritigala Mountain range is the highest Mountains on the island and the climate is considerably cooler. On arrival you will be taken on a 3 hour nature walk through the mountain jungle and ruins of the ancient Monastery. Though there is a chance to see larger animals, this nature walk focuses more on micro life fauna and flora that can be experienced better on foot rather than in a jeep in the larger parks.
- After your nature walk and lunch you will travel to the Elephant Corridor hotel for dinner and to relax and enjoy the rest of your evening at the resort.
Day 6 - Kandy & Temple of the Tooth
Day 7 - Guests will enjoy an early breakfast before traveling to Negombo for their journey home.
After breakfast you will leave the Elephant Corridor Hotel at 9:00am to travel to the city of Kandy, the last city of the ancient kings of Sri Lanka. Kandy is the second largest city in Sri Lanka and capital of the Central Province. Kandy is the home of The Temple of the Tooth Relic, one of the most sacred places of worship in the Buddhist world. It was declared a world heritage site in 1988. You will spend a delightful day of sightseeing and shopping throughout the city before retiring to your hotel in Kandy for the evening.